A tribute and review of great comic book art, and the stories I grew up reading, along with my faith based perspective.

Sunday, July 1, 2018

When a Superman Cries

I recently came across a sketch from the great comic book artist Ron Frenz featuring Superman. In his sketch you see Superman crying. I felt that it is a very powerful drawing. I then started thinking, What would make a Superman cry? I don't think there are many things that would. But some of those things would have to be: 

 #1. The constant random attacks perpetrated by madmen who go to churches, schools or dance clubs to shoot innocent men, women and children. That is what would make Superman cry. Just last week a 59 year old gunman killed five journalists of the Capital Gazette in Annapolis. 

 #2. The social discord affecting the entire country where two extreme political forces are accusing each other of wrong doing. There is a lack of love. Too many people are easily offended. And in turn this causes violence that ends up hurting so many people.

#3. The lack of love in families, and friends. Where strangers' love waxes cold, it should not be like that in families. 

The last time I saw Superman crying was in a comic book commemorating 911. 

Growing up the great Ron Frenz was one of my favorite comic book artists. In the 1980s he replaced the Romitas when they finished their run in Amazing Spider-Man. Ron Frenz brought a uniqueness to the Spider-Man comic book. And his stories are very memorable. Such as when he drew "the Kid Who Collected Spider-Man". Reading this comic book as a 13 year old made me cry!! I also remember how he drew Spider-Man defeating Firelord. A cosmic villain who was a herald of Galactus!! Ron was also there during the introduction of the black costume. 

I can't say enough how much I respect and admire his work. He blazed his own path in comic book history. That is why inking his crying Superman was extremely fun!  So hear is that awesome splash page, with credits to its original artist Ron Frenz!! I hope you like it and feel free to share this article!

No comments: