A tribute and review of great comic book art, and the stories I grew up reading, along with my faith based perspective.

Monday, July 2, 2018

Mjonlir Returns!

While growing up in the 80's many of my favorite comic book artists where the likes of John Romita Sr. and Jr., John Bryne and Ron Frenz.  They all had a simpler style to their work.  Had it not been for a high school friend I would have never been exposed to the work of the great Walter Simonson.  My friend "Young", suggested for me to read "The Mighty Thor".  I knew about Thor, just like the other heroes but I never felt like reading the book.  So I asked him, "What about the art?  It doesn't appear that I will like it."  My friend reassured me that I would love it.  So I gave it a try and I bought Thor.  I came back the next month and then the next. I was hooked.  Simonson's work was different from the other artists I was used to.  But it still maintained the raw energy and dynamic style superheroes are accustomed of having.  I never missed an issue of Thor after that.  On top of his art, Walt was a great storyteller!
Mjolnir Returns!
In 8th grade I read about Greek and Norse mythology.  So seeing Thor in epic battles with trolls and frost giants was very familiar to me.  And who could forget Loki! He was just as dastardly.  And then to culminate his epic run, Walt did the biggest battle prophesied by the ancient Norse legends. Thor went to battle with the Midgard serpent!!  That particular story will go down as one of the greatest stories ever told in the annals of comic book history.  If you have never read that story, it is a MUST!! In this story Thor battles the serpent to the death.  I also loved it because the allusions of the battle were very biblical.  To me Thor was Jesus Christ, battling the Dragon foretold in the book of the Apocalypse.

My seven year son old lent me a helping hand with the finishes.  Incidentally his middle name is "Mjolnir".
And that is why, I felt very adventurous and inked as a tribute to Walt, one of his drawings of Thor in his armor.  I call it "Mjolnir Returns!" Walt Simonson is one of the best artists there is.  I believe his legacy is at the level of Jack Kirby himself. I hope you like it and by all means please feel free to share.

No comments: